Sanofi has been involved in oligosaccharide chemistry for more than 20 years
Sanofi has been involved in oligosaccharide chemistry since the 90’s and is recognized as a worldwide leader in API manufacturing in this field.
Amongst this family of very active anti-thrombotic derivatives, Sanofi developed and marketed semisynthetic or fully synthetic heparinoïds.
For the fully synthetic oligosaccharides, Sanofi has developed complex molecules which manufacture requires a high number of chemical steps (up to 80 chemical steps).
For your projects, we develop a synergetic approach using a common building-blocks strategy based on our worldwide industrial network.
Our facilities are located in Sisteron (France), Aramon (France) and Ujpest (Hungary).
- Minimize the number of chemical intermediates
- Reduce lead time
- Increase security of supply
- Optimize cost of goods.
More than 200 chemical steps have been developed by our teams and more than 100 experts have been involved to ensure a high level of performance on this very specific chemistry being able to manage even at production scale:
- Activation of oligosaccharides throughout trichloroacetimidates, thioglycosides
- Coupling reactions (glycosylations):
- stereoselective & stereospecific reactions
- low temperature (down to -50 °C at production scale)
- anhydrous conditions (water contents below 10 ppm)
- Orthogonal protection/deprotection strategy
- Specific expertises in:
- hydrazine handling
In addition, our analytical department fully supports these development activities with:
- Chromatography techniques (HPLC, GC, IC, CE) with specific detection for molecules without UV absorption
- Mass spectrometry (Q-TOF, TOF, Ion-trap) and NMR (500 MHz and 300 MHz) to elucidate very complex chemical structures
Laboratories for oligosaccharide synthesis and analysis:
- Kilolab facilities for production of small scale batches to support phase I to phase III clinical studies
- Kiloprep facilities for normal, reverse phase chromatography: Prochrom systems (50 to 300 mm)
- Pilot plant and production facilities: from 50 L to 6 000 L
- Ion exchange dedicated purification facilities from grams to kilograms of APIs